May 27, 2008

Treasures in Time

The weatherman predicted that it would rain today. Not just any ol' rain mind you - major thunderstorms, with lightning and hail, were going to roll in today afternoon to break the spell of heat and humidity from the last few days.

At around 1PM, I looked up at the clear blue sky and figured the weatherman got it wrong again. There was not a cloud to be seen, the sun was glaring down on us, it was hot and sticky (well, sticky by U.S. standards.. let's not even begin to compare to Dubai).. basically it looked like it would be another bright, sunshiny day.

But by the time I got on my train at 3PM, the sky had completely changed. The horizon was suddenly stuffed full of dark grey, cottony clouds, the air was cool and moist, the sun was gone.. I half expected Dementors to come sweeping down on us. But oddly, I didn't think it was dark or gloomy or scary - in fact, I found the whole scene quite picturesque. The air felt charged with a kind of energy, an intense anticipation, like when the monsoons finally arrive in India and you're so excited, you go to the rooftop with your cousins and dance in the rain (except, in India when you dance in the rain, you get head lice. I don't know why, but it's true).

When I got off the train at 3:15PM and began walking home, it was raining lightly. Bizarrely, I was a little bummed. Normally I despise rain, but for some reason I wished that I would get caught in a rainstorm. I didn't care that I was wearing sandals (which I knew would begin to cut into my feet if they got wet), or that I was wearing a white skirt (which I knew would definitely get splattered with mud). I thought it would be great to get soaked in warm, summer rain.

You know how they say that every day, God listens to one prayer and grants it to you? Well looks like I had God's ear at 3:15PM because I had just gotten off the train and walked ten steps, when suddenly the drizzle turned into a downpour. Lo and behold, my wish had come true. I was caught in a rainstorm.

It was amazing. Water began pouring from the sky in buckets, as if a huge faucet had been turned on (in fact, the water pressure was definitely better than my shower at home). Suddenly the wind was blowing water every which way, my skirt was drenched, my hair was soaked, my umbrella turned inside out, I couldn't see through my glasses, my sandals began cutting into my feet...

.. but I didn't care. I was.. happy! I laughed out loud and ran across the bridge, getting totally soaked, while the river below swished and swirled and swelled in the wind and the rain. People around me dashed to get indoors and stay dry, but not me. I really enjoyed myself, and took my time getting to my apartment building. I smiled at the befuddled wet people around me and sang out loud to 'Mauja Hi Mauja' which was conveniently playing on my iPod.

(Much as I wanted to, though, I didn't relinquish the umbrella and get thoroughly soaked. That kind of madness requires company.. there's no point being all silly and dramatic and ridiculous if there's no one to share it with, right?)

Still, moments like these are miracles, little treasures in time. When coincidences add drama to mundane, ordinary life; when small prayers are immediately answered; when events line up so logically that it seems like we must all be playing our parts in a grand story.. you are reminded that there is a bigger picture to all of this; that Someone is listening; that we're all marching towards our own happy endings; and that we will, all of us, get there.

I know. It seems like a lot to be inspired with, just by spending six minutes a rainstorm. But, when you think about it, isn't that just the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment