April 8, 2007

So one day Yash Chopra was humming a song...

"Uthe sabke qadam, bolo rum pum pum
Aji aise geet gaaya karo..
Kabhi khushi kabhi ghum.. *pause*
[Ooh that would make a nice name for a movie]
Ta ra rum pum pum *pause*
[Ooh an even nicer name for a movie]
Hasso aur hasaya karo..."

K3G came and went, and now it's time for another YRJ masala flick, "Ta Ra Rum Pum".

I vaguely remember reading an issue of Stardust many years ago about a movie of this name being made, and I think it was supposed to star Aamir Khan.. or something. This was the mid to late 90s. Has this project been on the shelf for a while or am I growing old? Who knows.

Anyway, I'm glad to see another Saif-Rani starrer on horizon, but in truth I look forward to it with dread.

As much as I enjoy them for their spectacular cinematography and excellent make-up/hair skills, I'm getting very tired of the formula Chopra movies: song names for movie titles, pre-set music albums (one Rani-as-glam-doll song, one dance track, one love song, one wedding song, and one sad overhead track), along with ghissa pitti plot lines of love = friendship, you can be young, sexy *and* have an 8 year old, New York City is the center of the world, and gee - gay people sure are funny.

This one seems to revolve around a family man sports celebrity who gets into an accident and has his dreams crushed. Hmmm, why does this seem familiar? Oh yes, SRK played the bitter role very badly in KANK.

Well, we can only wait and watch. Hopefully Saif will not disappoint, and the film will play a big part in, if not sweep, next year's Filmfare Awards Sponsored by Yash Chopra.

2 comments:

  1. We listened to the music on the drive back from Wisconsin yesterday and frankly, first listen was not impressive but if it's one of those that grows on me then I'll have to eat cold crow

    ReplyDelete