March 11, 2009

All Booked Up

I am now on Spring Break but since it was too expensive to go anywhere after having indulged in the trip to the Bahamas, I decided to spend it here. So far, I have achieved various goals for the break, including doing many chores around the house, getting a pedicure (yay!), and getting back to reading.

Yes, the books were piling and piling and I decided to finish at least 6 of them before Sunday. If that sounds ambitious, you should know that there are 21 more on my bookshelves, waiting to be read. So, this is just the tip of the iceberg!

I already finished the first one, Buy-ology by Martin Lindstrom. Considering the man conducted the "largest ever" neuromarketing study, you'd think he'd have some crazy cool insights into how the human brain works, but a lot of what he concluded was fairly obvious to marketers everywhere (e.g. product placement only works in recall if your product is integrated into the plot line - well, duh?) and even after he made these observations, he didn't actually give any tips on how marketers can do such a thing. The whole premise of the book seemed to be, "Look Mommy, I made this cool thing, isn't it cool?" Bah.

Also, his writing was so sloppy and self-indulgent, it really put me off. Do I need to know how waifish and handsome you are, and how you're the best at what you do, and how global companies need you so much that you're home for only 60 days a year? Sorry, that doesn't make you an admirable expert, it makes you look like a man who has no sense of work-life balance and probably a useless personal life to show for it.

See, normally I wouldn't go all nasty on an author but when you open the door, be ready for the crap that follows.

Anyway, on to my next book - Marketing Metaphoria. I've already half of it, so completing it by tonight should be a piece of cake. Stay tuned for the review that rips that apart, too. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment