May 18, 2008

"Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution just yet."

I always did love Mae West. Atta girl.

In other news, I've been watching the Zee Cine Awards today (all three and a half frickin' hours of it) and all I have to say is that the entire awards scene in India has become nothing but an exercise in mutual self-admiration on the part of all those in the upper echelons of Bollywood royalty. I mean, we always knew they were rigged events, but now they're not even trying to pretend that it's anything more than a popularity contest.

Karan Johar and Sajid Khan host the awards, make jokes about the Khans and Kapoors that have now become their extended family, present awards to the Khans and Kapoors, and - when not available - accept awards on behalf of the Khans and Kapoors. Sometimes they give themselves awards too, and then, in their acceptance speeches, thank the Khans and Kapoors.

And now it's simply a given now that Shahrukh Khan will take the stage and accept a minimum of three awards per event, regardless of whether he deserved them or had anything to do with the award itself. Case in point, the "Bollywood Icon" award sponsored and presented by Dubai Lifestyle City to Shahrukh Khan for being.. err.. a movie star. Even SRK was lost for words when he accepted the stupid Z shaped statuette, saying, "I'm not quite sure what I've done to receive this award but.. umm.. Dubai's a great place, so, yeah, thanks." Seriously, what's next? Will they create a new category for Best "Thrills" just so that they can give him another award?

It's a tedious and frustrating affair and one can only help but admire Aamir Khan for still refusing to attend the damn things. I think I'm going to take a page out of his book and boycott watching them from now on myself.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment