Ugh. Currently in a serious food coma. My dad is a fantastic cook when it comes to traditional-meat-dishes, and he loves to feed us when we come, so he went all out and made some awesome paaya today. I normally don't eat the stuff but today even *I* couldn't resist it.. but now I'm.. ughhh.. paying for it. *burp*
And although I have come to expect this, each time I come home I am still surprised by just how much my family's entertainment revolves around food. If we're not eating or cooking, we're discussing what must next be eaten or cooked, or what was eaten and cooked the day/week/month/year before (this usually ends in my parents accusing each other for having produced too-liquid daal or over-salted bhindi etc).
Or else we pontificate on cuts of meat, the best way to cook a sabzi, the best cooks in the extended family, or how food was cheaper/better/fresher in the good ol days vs. now. I wonder if this is normal desi family behavior, or if we're just a little food-crazy in just the Rasheed household?
Today was tiring. Spent most of it auditioning girls/women for my sister's next documentary that she's writing/directing/producing for Faith of Life about breaking stereotypes for Muslim women in Canada. It was fun, took me back to undergrad film-making days. Since I'm here for a while now, I'll be helping her with getting it off the ground with more auditions and initial scripting. She's also (rather presumptuously.. hmpft - I kid, I kid) volunteered me for other FLN stuff and got a whole list of projects for me to work on, so I suppose I'm going to be busy while I'm here! :)
Ok going to eat ice cream at Dmitri's now. So what if I have no room for anything in my tummy? I'm on vacation.. I shall be a pig.
l8rz.
May 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment