April 24, 2008

Mere Yaar Ki Birthday Hai

Today is a special day. Why? It is the birthday of my BFF Salman, of course. Duh.

Now typically, Salu's birthdays are a grand affair - he gets presents in the mail, cards, calls... the whole shebang. But this year will be a little different. Why? 'Cos now he's married and it ain't my job to do all this crap and make him feel special anymore.

(ok ok.. his present is in the mail already *eyeroll*.. old habits die hard.. but don't worry, it's nothing to do with frogs or globes this time)

But this year I'm changing it up a little. Instead of a card, Sheikhoo gets his very own dedicated blog post. For all the world to see and potentially Google. How cool is that? (yes, you can thank me in the comments).

So, what can I say about Salman? We've been best friends for 9 years. I've also known him 9 years but I can't remember when he *wasn't* my best friend, so for argument's sake I'm just going to assume we've been inseparable since we've known each other. We've also gone through a record number of names for each other: from {sALMAn}, eNeRgIzEr_BuNnY and Papitay, to Sheikhoo and Jeenu Baggy Jeans.. it's been a wild wild ride.

We have laughed together, cried together, grown up together, fought like animals, sworn at each other, and done/said lots of crazy and embarrassing things together that, ahem, we'd rather not mention here, thank you very much (this includes the playing with teddy bears phase - which reminds me, dude where's doc saab?).

I've probably spent most of my life's cell-phone minutes on him, and I've only ever had to go to the post office (usually 10+ miles away) to pick up a package because he's the only person who uses frickin' UPS to send me stuff (the remote controlled Mini Cooper still qualifies as Best. Gift. Ever).

I once dedicated the Celine Dion song "Because You Loved Me" to him (this was a few birthdays ago) and that feeling has not diminished with time. Salman has held me up when I have been weak, given me strength and comfort and hope and, always, a laugh when I needed it most. He has taught me all the Punjabi I know ('nashey mein talli' not withstanding) and he has given me the gift of a friendship that is whole and complete, unflinching and unquestioning. He knows all my secrets and my flaws, he's my rock through the storm, my friend, my partner in crime, and in general - he's pretty aiiiight. Like I said, Best Friends Forever.

(Hmm. Is it just me or is this beginning to sound like a eulogy? Ok man, you're not dead, just 28. I'll speed this up a little.)

SO.

Even though you were too lazy to come to my wedding, I think me skipping yours was revenge enough. I now officially forgive you for that horrible lapse in judgment, and would like to wish a very Happy Happy HAPPY Birthday to my jiggar Sheikhoo. [wataaaap bhee]

May you have an awesome day, a wonderful 28th year, may your wife feed you lots of cake that doesn't automatically go to your butt, may Armani Exchange never die (what will you wear then?), and may all of life's most precious gifts always find their way to your door (so you don't have to go 10+ miles to pick them up).

*happy birthday jhuppieeeee* x3

Love,
me.

P.S.: How great was this blog post? How the heck are you gonna top this one, sucker? Haha! The countdown to August 7th begins..

1 comment:

  1. Awww! So sweet. We have known each other for eternity..or so it seems! And yes, it will be hard to top that - I'm dreading August already! :p Thanks bhee! juphieee!
    p.s. do you have anything to do with a red tank/sleeveless tshirt?

    ReplyDelete