July 12, 2007

Observations on The Goblet of Fire

I spent the last few weeks getting through Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire. Considering the mysteries of POA have been dissected so many times in the following books, I didn't uncover anything new there. However, I did notice a few things in GOF this time that seemed more relevant now than before:

-When Voldemort is regenerated using Harry's blood in the graveyard, he is able to touch Harry; but he also says that Lily's protection now runs in his veins. How will this protection manifest itself when he and Harry finally face one another? Will he, too, become untouchable for Harry?

-When Dumbledore explains the phenomenon of Priori Incantatem he says that since both wands share the same core, they are brother wands and "won't work properly against each other". Instead, when spells cross, the Reverse Spell Effect will kick in. So, assuming that Voldemort and Harry are going to be caught in a duel with plenty of fireworks, how can either of them use their wands to kill the other? Can a wand work the Avada Kedavra curse effectively upon the bearer of its brother? It remains to be seen.

-More evidence in favor of Snape's loyalty: when Dumbledore starts handing out assignments to all the members of the Order on the night Cedric dies, he gives the following orders to Snape:

"Severus, you know what I must ask you to do. If you are ready... if you are prepared..."
"I am," said Snape. He looked slightly paler than usual, and his cold, black eyes glittered strangely.
"Then good luck," said Dumbledore, and he watched with a trace of apprehension on his face, as Snape swept wordlessly after Sirius.
It was several minutes before Dumbledore spoke again.

This exchange, along with Dumbledore's testimony to Crouch during Karkaroff's trial, in which he said that Snape had joined Dumbledore's ranks before the fall of Voldemort "at great personal risk", is evidence enough that Snape is only pretending to have gone back to the Dark Side, and is actually playing out some complex plan that Dumbledore clearly crafted in anticipation of Voldemort's return.

I'm going to read the next two books before deciding, but I must say I see myself going over to the "Snape is Innocent" side very very soon.

Alright then - time to get cracking on Order of the Phoenix!

5 comments:

  1. I'm about a 1/3rd of the way through OOTP. This book is challenging man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snape IS innocent. I've had a 'Trust Snape' bumber sticker for over a year now.

    "Severus, you know what I must ask you to do. If you are ready... if you are prepared..."

    ('to kill me as planned?')

    It was several minutes before Dumbledore spoke again.

    Because they realised that D'dore HAD to be killed by Snape - this was the only way to gain Voldermort's trust.

    Ok, I have a prediction. Anyone interested in a potential spoiler?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my official stance was always, "I am wary of Snape". I didn't buy the bumper sticker because I wasn't entirely convinced of his innocence but I wasn't entirely against him either. Now I'm fairly confident he was acting under Dumbledores's orders.

    As for the prediction, BRING IT ON :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. *grins* My kinda gal.

    Ok. So far, whenever Rowling kills one of the good guys, she doesn't kill just about anyone. First she makes us LOVE them, and then she kills them off to ensure that her loyal, loving readers weep.

    My guess for this book is, she's going to spend considerable time building up Snape - he's probably going to be the one who protects Harry now. What is the best way to protect Harry? To know what Voldermort's plans are. How does he do that? Infiltrate his camp. With D'dore and Sirius gone, which major character is really left to protect him? Snape's the only character she's spent so long building up and making us go "Ummm... I dont quite know about him". Now, she's going to make us LOVE Snape, and then in classic Rowling style - kill him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, dunno. I wasn't particularly in love with Cedric Diggory when he got killed off. Although he seemed a decent sort, the whole thing was sad more so because it was so surprising and instantaneous, and less so because we loved Cedric so much.

    Still, Snape getting killed off is a total possibility considering he is definitely in the thick and in the line of fire. More likely he goes than Hermione or Ron, as some forums are suggesting.

    3 days to go!! :)

    ReplyDelete