April 16, 2007

A loaf of meat? Who comes up with this stuff?

Try creating a dish called "The I-Would-Do-Anything-For-Love-But-I-Won't-Do-That Dish".

Yes, I made a meatloaf. And that's the name my husband gave it. *sigh*

It's ironic that the meatloaf is the one food that's always used in books and movies to ridicule a person's cooking skills because of the myriad things you can do to ruin it. But it's also the most bizarre concept. Why on earth would you want to bake 2 lbs of meat into one compact block and eat slices of it? Seriously? Not only is it hard to make, it's hard to eat and digest!

Anyway, mine didn't burn like it does in cartoons, and it didn't taste extremely bad - it just didn't bake into a loaf. You cut it, and it fell apart. It was too soggy and I personally don't think 400 degrees is hot enough to bake meat in. No?

So overall, it was definitely edible but disappointing as a project. I took the leftovers and turned it into a pasta dish so it would be easier to finish.

But I also made killer french toast this weekend. YUM-O. Meatloaf disaster avenged.

2 comments:

  1. I never got the idea of meatloaf being a delicacy. Odd is what it is

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think its a delicacy per se, since everyone's mom and grandma makes meatloaf. It's like the middle class comfort food from the 60s. But yes, very odd concept to me.

    ReplyDelete