September 11, 2006

It's a nice day for a.. white wedding

Never thought I'd quote David Bowie in a blog title, but there you have it.

Guess where I spent my weekend this past weekend?

Omaha, NE.

Yup, corn town. We were attending the wedding of Sarwar's good buddy from work (Jason). He married a girl called Geri and she's originally from a town 4 hrs AWAY from Omaha so this was the best compromise they could make!

Omaha is a cute, small town but there's really nothing to do there or see, so we just lounged in our hotel room and ate the complimentary choc chip cookies that Doubletree provided (they were YUM), watched Meet the Fockers on HBO and I agonized over a bottle of nail polish that opened on the way there and then became gloopy and un-put-on-able. I tried to buy another bottle but the nearest store was 10 blocks away (this is downtown) and without a car I wasn't going to make the trip. Took me 3 hrs to paint 10 finger nails and 10 toenails. Insanity. I was so frustrated I banged the bathroom door and dislodged the mirror. And then there was nail polish everywhere - on the sink ledge, in the sink, on my skin, my make up. Everywhere. And the nail polish remover I got from the gift shop in the hotel lobby was the really cheap kind where you have to use 3 cups before you can wipe a spot off. I feel like the entire morning/afternoon of the wedding went by in curses and the smell of acetone.

Any the who, it was my first white wedding (white 'cos the bride wears white, not 'cos it's got white people in it - which for some reason confused my boss) and it was a nice event at an art museum (the groom is not very pro-church) though we didn't know anyone and got seated with a bunch of farmers (no, literally) with pregnant wives who just talked among themselves about their existing and upcoming children, the wheat harvest, irrigation and pretty much ignored us brown folks - the only non-white people at the party. Eventually, though this other guy at the table, an engineer from Maryland with a 3 yr old daughter started talking to us and when the topic of Dubai came up, we began talking about the place, and you should have seen the expression on these Nebraskans faces - they were in total shock and awe. Doubt they've even left the state, let alone fathom leaving the country!

Ironically, it rained the whole day so I suppose it wasn't such a nice day for a white wedding after all.

Still, an interesting social experiment if there ever was one :)

5 comments:

  1. It can be quite intimidating going to a white wedding :) Clothes or people wise. But yeah, I can totally relate to the shocked looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you question "gloopy" but not "un-put-on-able"?

    i shudder at the thought of your SAT English score ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. See which is why I didn't take the SAT :D

    Just the TOEFL . 653/677 Mind it ;)

    ReplyDelete