October 11, 2004

House of Mouse

This past weekend was spent quivering fearfully. Why? Sarwar's house was infested by.... a mouse!

I first saw it scurry into a corner behind the couch when we were playing Scrabble. In truth, I only saw a blur of black but I shrieked myself hoarse. I spent the whole day freaking out and imagining the ugly, disgusting creature showing up in my shoe, or in my bag. I thought I heard squeaking and every flicker of movement (usually my eyelashes fluttering as I blinked) was turned into the shivering of mouse whiskers. I was distraught with fear and goosebumps of disgust. Sarwar said he would get the exterminators in on Monday, but Monday was still 48 spine-tingling hours away.

Then, later that evening I saw it scurry past the island in the kitchen. Twice. Then, it stopped in front of the bedroom door, pausing as if to decide its next course of action (or, in my nightmare, to take a filthy, poisonous death-infested dump). Then, it scuttled off towards the bedrooms. Nightmare? Nope, this was real, baby.

I decided to take action. Having seen it make its way towards the small bedroom, I shut that door. I figured if it was inside, at least it was trapped. There was a gap beneath the door but it didn't look large enough for it to come out through. I also made plans about what I would do to trap it, should I encounter it in an obliging position. I made a mental note to use the kitchen plunger and cage it, since the suction cup would make it impossible for the evil thing to wriggle out.

Many hours later, I decided to take a look into the room. I opened the door... and shrieked again. It was right under the door - and dead. Must've gotten stuck trying to get out, suffocated and died an agonizing death (serves it right!). I brought my trusty plunger and jammed it on top of the corpse and grinned maniacally. In the war between man and rodent, once again, man had emerged victorious.

Mind you, it was only when it was dead that I noticed it was pretty small - about two inches long and an inch thick. The next day I noticed a rat warning outside posted by the Department of Disease and Pest Control, indicating the area had a rat infestation. I concluded it was a rat, but Sarwar still insists it was a mouse. Well whatever it was, it's now flushed down the toilet and rotting in a sewer someplace. Muwahahahaha!

Sarwar has offered to get a mop, a bucket and a bottle of disinfectant to scrub every nook and cranny of the house. I agree vociferously. God knows where the creature might have laid its poop and its eggs (yes I know mice don't lay eggs but still!).

Ugh. The mere thought is still making me shiver with disgust. Bloody rodents! I am going to take a protest out against all mice and rats except for Mickey, Minnie, Jerry, Dangermouse and the Sensei from TMNT.

Hmpft!

No comments:

Post a Comment