October 14, 2008

Three Strange Things Strangers Have Said To Me Lately

1) As I pushed my cart down a supermarket aisle, I felt a sneeze coming on. Since both my hands were busy pushing the cart, I simply turned my head and quietly sneezed into my shoulder. A woman standing 10 feet away from me yelled out, “Ugh that’s disgusting! Look at her, she didn’t even cover her face when she sneezed! You people are gross!”

2) As I moved my 10 lb bookbag from the seat next to me to make room for a fellow passenger on the T, a lady next to me snarled, “Finally.” I looked at her and said, “Sorry?”, and she said “No, I’m not sorry. Are you?”

3) As I backed out of a one-way Dunkin Donuts parking lot that I had accidentally turned into, a man drove past me and yelled, “It’s one-way, you fucking bitch!”

Yep, sure feels great being a Muslim in the U S of A.

3 comments:

  1. As me and my boss (another Indian) were walking into an elevator in office, "These are the kind of people I am talking about" pointing to us.
    Also by a "Barista" in a cafe at JFK airport, "Here's another one that can't speak English" ( I hope she remains a "Barista" for life :)

    Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) What did she expect you to do? Sneeze in your hands, and put your germ-'y' hands back on the trolley? Cow.
    2) 'Yes. I'm sorry I have to breathe the same air you do.'
    3) Clearly there are far too many people who've been laid off in the States.

    UNBELIEVABLE stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Srujbop: It *is* sad. I would have loved it if you had said something amazingly complicated in English to her right as she said that, throwing in plenty of crazy GRE words that would totally throw her off. That would have been so cool :D

    Sheetal: regarding #1, that's *exactly* what I was trying to avoid doing! God knows, public handles and poles and bars are already gross enough, I don't want to be adding to that :S

    The strange thing is that all of these occurrences happened within the space of a week or ten days. It was a little nerve rattling. I guess someone was making sure my bad Karma came around to me that week :S

    ReplyDelete