May 14, 2008

After 11 days of stuffing myself with meat and carbs at home, I'm now back in Boston. Feeling ok, sort of quiet.

Had an interesting encounter today, though. I was coming back home after attending a graduate student reception at Emerson, but because the Red Line decided to act very Green-Line-like, I missed my commuter rail train out of Porter Square (damn commuter rail). Had no option but to call Sarwar, and ask him to come pick me up.

As I waited for him, I settled down on the stoop outside Porter Square station, listened to Landon Pigg on my iPod, and enjoyed the setting sun and slightly chilly wind of a perfect spring day. It was quite a relaxing and calming wait, I must admit.

Anyway, after about 20 minutes, Sarwar called and asked me to come stand by Mass Ave since he'd be there in a few minutes. So I got up and started walking towards the street, but then I was stopped by a man. I think he was Native American; he was wearing a purple sweatshirt, had his silver hair tied in a pony-tail and carried a beat-up old guitar. I had noticed him earlier sitting a way away from me, strumming songs for passers-by, but I hadn't heard any of his music since I was listening to my iPod.

Anyway, this man passed me by and he said, "Oh, you got up! I was just coming over to you to sing you a song. You looked so sad and lonely, I thought I'd cheer you up."

Isn't that the sweetest thing? I was so touched. I thanked him with a stupid grin and told him that I had to leave now but I'd hopefully hear his song some other time. He asked me for the time and then, as I left, said "God bless you". My heart swelled with happiness at this random act of kindness.

It's days like these that make the harder ones a little bit easier.

In other news, it's official: the American Idol finale is a David vs. David encounter. Of course, I'm voting for David Cook - I cast two votes for him by phone last night - and here's hoping that other people also overlook Archuleta's 'treacly' brand of ballad-singing and instead vote for the far-more-mature and uber-cool rocker dude.

Also, I finally pick up my glasses tomorrow in Harvard Square. Yes, these are the ones that got the least votes on the blog poll :P (speaking of which, check out the new poll and vote!)

Hmm.. since I have to be there at 12PM for an eye-exam (they're dilating my pupils before giving me my glasses.. eek), thinking about spending an afternoon out like last time.. burgers at Bartley's, ice cream at Baskin Robbins, and reading in the Square (assuming I can use my eyes?). Yup, fun times. Yay for unemployment.

No comments:

Post a Comment