April 13, 2008

Blegh.

Sitting in Buffalo airport, waiting for my flight back to Boston. I only have about an hour until scheduled take-off but I decided to pay the $7.95 for day-long access to airport Internet. Wasteful, yes. But since when has that ever stopped an addict?

Toronto was OK. The wedding stopped being fun after the first day. I have decided that I officially hate weddings, especially big dramatic productions with elaborate events and celebrations. I didn't really enjoy my own wedding for precisely that reason, and if I ever do it again it'll be a simple nikah in a mosque, an intimate valima for family and friends, and that's it. Sab log apne apne ghar jao, the way you're supposed to Islamically. It seems bizarre to me that we spend so much time, energy, money and emotions for a life-changing thing that, actually, isn't always a barrel of laughs and a bed of roses, and all those other euphemisms for ease. Marriage is hard work. It's a serious endeavor. Let's not misrepresent and forget the gravity of this life-changing event by getting engrossed in $8,000 flower centerpieces, stupid cultural traditions and vats of butter chicken.

Yes I know, it's a glass-half-empty day today. Well. Tough.

1 comment: