May 8, 2007

In The Summertime

Yes! Good weather is finally here! The trees are green, the breeze is warm, and cute babies are back out on the street..

But summer, in some ways, also heralds for me a season of misery and despair.

Why? Let me explain:

Warm Weather = Must Enjoy It Before Its Gone = Must Buy Trendy Clothes To Look Hot = Must Spend Big Bucks Or Else Feel Frumpy Forever!

Since I am generally cheap when spending on myself, summer automatically means a time of low self-esteem for me because I can never look as good as I'd like.. *sigh*.

Believe it or not, I miss winter.

Think about it: even though it's a pain in general, winter is great fashion-wise. No one expects you to stray from blacks and grays that cover you from neck to toe. No one even cares to be fashionable, there's only so pointy a stilletto boot heel can go!

But in summer.. ohh.. how the tables turn on you.

Suddenly, it's all about sleeves, and skirt lengths, and peep-toes, and big sunglasses, and necklaces and - mother of all catastrophes - nail polish.

You see why moving to California gives me the shudders? *shudder*

So anyway, as usual I get my fashion tips from (i.e. I feel unworthy because I see) women on the train, and given the recent burst of good weather I've had a chance to assess my needs and wants. And yet again this year it seems that my wardrobe is seriously lacking in the shoe department.

Considering the amount of pink in my closet, I've decided I need pink shoes. And I really need to get trendier sneakers for walking around town because my Nike lace-ups are too bulky. I like the ballerina style that's gotten popular recently, and I also want a pair of wedges - though everything would preferably be close-toed because I'm not paying $50 a month for fancy pedicures and I'm not spending as much time as I have in the past actually attempting (unsuccessfully) to apply my own nail polish.

Given that my train home was delayed, I had plenty of time to observe the "far trendier woman" creature today. And as these thoughts entered my mind on the train ride home, I felt sad, doomed to unfashionableness due to chronic laziness, a hatred of shopping in general, and of course, the pinch of the wallet.

But then as the girl next to me crossed her legs and I saw her gorgeous cork-wedge lace-up sandals, I decided: enough is enough. I must be trendy or else die a fashion death on Boston's Commuter Rail. Screw it - I'm going shoe-shopping!

But.. how to get it done without a car and before the weekend?

Never fear, I said to myself (umm.. not really, that's not how I talk to myself).

I got home and immediately zipped onto zappos.com and shortlisted the following pairs of shoes for impending purchase after a 20 minute search:






I'm taking a day to sleep on it and think the purchase over... since shelling out anything over $50 for myself is hard for me.. but in the meantime any thoughts or opinions (from the female readers, of course, I'm fairly certain the eyes of my male readers glazed over a long time ago) would be much appreciated.

Ta!

6 comments:

  1. I like both the black ones, very nice! I need nice work shoes as well. Something open and airy that will allow my feet to breath. Btw, I am pretty sure Fapa can guide you to cheaper mani/pedis! Have fun shopping

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything pink is cute. Buy pink - more pink - pink, pink, pink, pink!

    Oh, and if you were living near me, I would've dragged to you a nail bar by now, and gotten you as hooked as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks R! And, not to seem rude, but umm.. who are you? :D

    Sheetal, ok too much pink makes even the baby go blind :P

    I like having my nails done, I just don't wanna pay for it :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. *in a condescending desi accent* Come won now Zeenu, don't be so cheap.

    Go get those nails done and pay for them, the one thing I tell T is that even if she is still in the job market, she needs to look good. It can do wonders for one's confidence. Trendy clothes one summer = casual evening wear the next, you rotate out your wardrobe. simple.

    And yes, there is such a thing as too much pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "too much pink makes even the baby go blind"
    "there is such a thing as too much pink."

    Tch tch tch. May the Gods of pink smite the two of you. Then ye shall learn to respect the pink lords.

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'mon. A pink god can't be very mean and smite-worthy.. after all.. it's PINK :P

    ReplyDelete