.. OKAY.
I was geared up for it, quite excited about the concept of Othello in India. Have not seen Maqbool but have heard great things about it. But sadly I was disappointed.
In its defence, I do think Omkara was a very well-made film. Extremely well directed and shot - love the way the deaths unravel in the end. Great performances all around, especially Saif Ali Khan (as usual), Ajay Devgan and Konkona Sen Sharma. But that's about it.
~It was too slow - could easily have cut back half an hour..
~Thank God for subtitles, because the UP dialect spoken was near impossible to understand..
~I don't mind being called a prude, but I was not comfortable with the 'leecharpana' of the dialogue. I know this is probably very close to reality, but not my ideal way to spend three hours..
~Way too much senseless, conscience-less, violence for me to stomach after a great Orange Peel Shrimp dinner at Stir Crazy..
~Don't understand the hype Vishal and Paresh created around the music, I was not very impressed by it except for the 'Lakdi' song (something about it burning into charcoal)..
~Vivek Oberoi and Kareena Kapoor were passable and not too taxing on the mind..
~Bipasha Basu was intolerable - she can't speak hindi of any kind (refined or village-like) and cannot dance to save her life. Beedi was ok, Namak was pointless. She looked totally out of place with her makeup and costume, not very realistically nautanki-wali, but I guess they needed some spice in the trailer to get the audiences to come. (funny though, 'cos most of the people walk out for their cigarette/bathroom breaks during the songs anyway). Plus she still looks like she needs to wash her face..
~It just left me depressed at the end :(
Overall, I thought it was like Being Cyrus - a very good film, that I didn't "enjoy" watching.
August 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

The music grows on you. It took me about 8-9 listens to get into Beedi and Namak. I love Laakad too. Give it time...
ReplyDeleteHaven't watched movie yet but I shall watch post haste when DVD can be *cough*d/l'd*cough*
Wholeheartedly Agreed. Its a brilliant soundtrack.
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen the movie as yet but have heard plenty about the excessive swearing including in front of family etc.
ReplyDeleteWhich is actually very far from truth- and this comes from a UPite. Come on- even a tum/tu is very easily taken as an offense unless talking to close friends/younger family members. So swearing is wayyyyy too far fetched in front of FAMILY and as often and casual at that [atleast at upper/lower middle class level. Can't speak for the homeless and others like that]
I think I've put off watching the movie because I'm iffy about the swearing. So I know what you mean about feeling prudish about it :)