I love it when Urdu poets create parallels between emotions and otherwise mundane aspects of nature. It's such a romantic way of giving a deeper meaning and richer texture to ordinary feelings, and makes one appreciate the beauty of the world just a little bit more.
While nowhere in the league of Ghalib and other great poets, a recent song reminded me how much I love this stuff. From Fanaa, "Mere Haath Mein" didn't make much of an impact on me when I heard it during the movie. But I've been listening to it closely and I really love the lyrics and now the song makes a lot more sense in terms of why it showed up in the movie where it did. Aamir and Kajol's relationship had been fraught with separation and misunderstandings, and this was their coming-together song - hence the emphasis on "paas paas" and closeness. If I'd heard the song more closely during the movie (or before it), and known the context, I think I may have enjoyed it a lot more!
Mere Haath Mein
Film: Fanaa
Music: Jatin-Lalit
Lyrics: Prasoon Joshi
Mere haath mein tera haath ho
Saari jannatein mere saath hon
Tu jo paas ho, phir kya yeh jahaan
Tere pyar mein hojaoon fanaa
Kitne paas hai khushbu saans ke
Jitne paas honton ke sargam
Jaise saath hai karvat yaad ke
Jaise saath baahon ke sangam
Jitne paas paas khwabon ke nazar
Utne paas tu rehna humsafar
Tu jo paas ho, phir kya yeh jahaan
Tere pyar mein hojaoon fanaa
Rone de aaj humko, tu aankhein sujaane de
Baahon mein lele aur khud ko bheeg jaane de
Hai jo seene mein qaid darya, woh choot jayega
Hai itna dard ke tera daaman bheeg jayega
Jitne paas paas dhadhkan ke hai raaz
Jitne paas boondon ke badal
Jaise saath saath chanda ke hai raat
Jitne paas nainon ke kaajal
Jitne paas paas saagar ke leher
Utne paas tu rehna humsafar
Tu jo paas ho, phir kya yeh jahaan
Tere pyar mein hojaoon fanaa
Adhoori saans thi, dhadhkan adhoori thi, adhoore hum
Magar ab chand poora hai falak pe
Aur ab poore hain hum
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Its funny that those lyrics were written by Prasoon Joshi, creative head of McCann-Erickson (Asia) - the man behind the 'Thanda Matlab Coca Cola' campaign and India's ONLY Cannes Golden Lion winner. He also wrote the lyrics for Hum Tum and Rang De Basanti.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on the intertwining of thought with love and nature, although I feel that he goes a little wild in trying to be lyrically creative and "different" in an almost Gulzar-ish (Geela Geela Pani?? Yeesh) kinda way.
Take this line from the title track of RDB:
dheemi aanch pe tuu zara ishq chadha
thode jharne laa, thodi nadi mila
thode saagar aa, thodi gaagar laa
thoda chhidak chhidak,
thoda hila hila
phir ek rang tu khila khila
Ok .. cute ... interesting ... drawing a parallel between love and cooking ... very deep, P ... but seriously .. "thoda chidak chidak, thoda hila hila"?? And add to this mixture, the South Indian-accented High Pitched tone of Chitra, and you have the recipe for Eardrum Massacre A Pointe.