March 27, 2006

Clark/Lake

On my way to work this morning, I was listening to my iPod. As always, the songs were set to "Random", but somehow I got two Marc Anthony songs, two Bryan Adams songs and two Boyzone songs within 30 minutes. So much for random.

I got off at Clark/Lake station and headed to Dunkin' Donuts for my once (or twice) a week ration of a small hot chocolate (which we now know is not humongously fattening).

This particular DD location is inside the train station itself, and is served by a crew of three middle-aged Indian women - one is called Yasmeen, one is Lila and the other's name I can't remember. They're all rotund women with high pitched voices, hairy faces and thick accents, but they know all their customers by face and even before you open your mouth to order, they're saying "medium latte, cream and sugar?" and "coffee, no cream and two banana muffins?".

In this age of "wham bam thank you ma'am" service, it's quite amazing how these women manage to remember everyone's faces and their complex orders, especially considering that they probably knew nothing about coffee for most of their lives and had never heard the word 'bagel' until they landed in America. Plus, don't all these white faces look the same anyway? (sic)

Today, though, it was Lila who looked shockingly different. It appears that she decided to visit a salon over the weekend and endure some painful facial hair removal. Must say she looks much nicer now, albeit she has that strange, patchy look that accompanies a first time depilation process.

Gosh, I'm so bored at work I'm thinking about the DD lady's mustache. It is a sad day for us all.

1 comment:

  1. at least... at least... you don't have to work with women you wish you could lawn mow.. now THAT is horrifying.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete