February 24, 2005

As I sat at the blue line Western train station, waiting for the train to pull in to take me to work, I suddenly thought of words that had dropped out of my vocabulary.

These were words that formed part of my childhood, were specific only to the experience of growing up in Sharjah, in my school, with my siblings and (erstwhile) friends, and how they were so not part of my lingo anymore because of the changes I've been through in place and as a person.

Here are a few:
1. Controller (i.e. the TV remote)
2. Luncheon meat (I loved sandwiches made of it; now it grosses me out)
3. Shopner (I actually always just said Sharpener, but heard lame people at school use it frequently enough)
4. Zero period (pre-Sports Day sessions of training that took place before first period)
5. Copybook

There are probably many more but these are the ones that come to mind now... maybe I'll update the list later as they come to mind.

It's strange how old memories just come to you on random occasions and in random places. Hmm.

**Update on 2/28/05**
6. Rubber (Tamanna)
7. Prepone (Tamanna)

3 comments:

  1. rubber...how could you forget malbaris and their rubber?!
    or Prepone..no such word.
    wait there's more..sochne de

    ReplyDelete
  2. you forgot the malbari head nods.. those were contextual words on their own.

    how about "heych" for H and "Jeero" for zero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yem yo yet another yo yen :o)

    ReplyDelete