November 1, 2004

Countdown: 56

Happy November! And Happy All-Souls Day!

Halloween was not too eventful this year, but it was fun to give away sour-candy (I bought as a present for Sarwar, but neither of us liked it) to the little kiddles who came trick or treating. Well, only one bunch of kiddies came by because the basement apartment gets no attention and we only managed to see this bunch since they were at the house when we pulled up to the sidewalk after our grocery shopping trip.

But wow, there were some crazy outfits out on Belmont Avenue, where I live. To the uninitiated, the area is called Boystown and is Gay Central so plenty of freaky things are to be seen. Girls in literally nothing but underwear and fishnet stockings, men in Elvis costumes, police-women with their assets (all of em) falling out of barely there uniforms, and half-naked clowns. The folks in the apartment above Sarwar's also had a party on the night of the 30th, and must have played "Thriller" about 10 times.

The scariest thing this Halloween was the movie Sarwar and I watched, the afore-mentioned "Sarfarosh-e-Hind". Two hours of pure torture I tell you, I can't even believe I watched the whole thing through. Sarwar was cracking up the whole time, I was in shock. I think it was a movie from the early 90's that got shelved and then they figured they might as well release the shots they had by cutting and pasting them together randomly. The dubbing was awful, and half the voices weren't even of the actors themselves.

Basic gist of story: corrupt politician (Sadashiv Amrapurkar) wants to get re-elected to Chief Minister but gets busted by pious son (a nobody) and half-naked journalist girlfriend (another nobody that looks a lot like my maid), who help out patriotic DCP facing suspension (Anupam Kher) for being too good. There's also a fake Sardar-ji and son combo (Kiran Kumar and Ravi Behl) who further complicate the plot, as well as the usual langda, crutch-toting policeman in tight vardi and beret who acts as the "conscience" of the movie by showing up in random scenes, singing a really bad song or reciting apocalyptic shaairi.

Add a drunken brother, his naked orgies, and an ever more lurid Johny Lever as comic relief, sprinkle in some racism with a Pakistani ISI criminal who has a strong Malayali accent (on whom everything else is blamed), a canned shot of thunder and lightning, various plastic revolvers and hit and run murders, and a fall from the top of a building, and you have the Halloween classic, Sarfarosh-e-Hind.

I bet Geet Video made its first and only $1 on the rental of that video through me. *shudder*

Alright then, time to go home. Since Daylight Savings has pushed Iftar up an hour, I'm leaving work even earlier now. Yay for farmers!


1 comment: