If the purpose of Ramadan is to imitate and therefore understand the hardship that millions of poverty-stricken people of our ummah suffer through starvation, then how can one justify the tummy-bursting iftaris one indulges in come 5:59PM? Surely the indulgence of the impulse to eat defeats the entire purpose of fasting!
Its bizarre but almost every day this Ramadan I have been fit to burst 5 minutes after opening my fast. Either I'm really binging or the smallest quantities of food turn into large rocks in my tummy almost instantly. The worse part is that (unlike ever before) I find myself craving food during my fast. Seems like my moral strength is being tested - and is obviously failing. I am such a sinner :/
While at Devon this weekend, I decided to pick up the movie "Sarfarosh", as Sarwar hasn't seen it and I was in the mood to celebrate the death of the evil bandit Veerappan. Not only did he kill and lootofy hundreds of innocent people for 20 years - he was targeting our very own pan-Indian hero Rajnikath as well (see previous posts for fan posting). The brigand!
As luck would have it though, I went in and picked up some 80's B-movie called "Sarfarosh-e-Hind". Why? I'm blind that's all. Didn't read the whole label through before picking it off the shelf. Needless to say, my jubilation over Veerappan's death was marred when I played the tape and found Anupam Kher and Mukesh Khanna in skin-tight vardi's interrogating a muchhar bandit in a cardboard thaana. Sigh.
Alrighty, I'm off. I began reading "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown today morning and only got to read 66 pages so I shall go back and satisfy my craving for the book. It's a lot like Da Vinci Code (or vice versa) in plot movement and narrative style but I love conspiracy theories - especially those about religion and apocalypses - so naturally I am riveted.
More later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment